Friday 28 February 2014

Beautiful Little Fool

The college I'm currently at was having a 1920s themed party, so what better excuse than that to get all elaborately dressed up? Also, more monochrome for everyone. I wasn't kidding when I said I loved it. 

Honestly, it was not until I began picking up little bits and bobs for my costume that I began to learn about and appreciate the roaring 20's for all it's lavish and opulent grandeur. To me it is almost as if it sits in a perfect little bubble in time, if you will pardon my weird choice of words. The war was over, everyone was celebrating and the economy was flourishing. It was the carefree era of modernity and shifting paradigms with the invention of automobiles, cinematics, women securing their voting rights, and not forgetting the flappers which were the feminine icon of the 1920s. If I had lived then, I would have thought it the beginning of an age where everything seemed to be possible.

I couldn't sport the bob and finger wave hairstyle, complete with dangly headpiece, or the classic drop waist flapper dress that was all the rage, so I made do with some curls and a black sequined dress. Complete with pearls, gloves and soft focus photo editing. :P

More importantly, it was also the time in which A.A. Milne published Winnie The Pooh. Now what could possibly compete with that on my list of priorities? 






"I hope she'll be a fool- that's the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool."
- F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby


Photo credits to Lily, who is also in the process of publishing a beautiful 1920s look that is arguably heaps more authentic than mine. Be sure to look out for it and check her out! 


UNICORN LOVE, 
- R 

No comments:

Post a Comment